Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Gilding Workshop

I better get a post up before John emails me!! after all, the workshop finished almost 7 hours ago!

Eighteen of us had an absolutely fabulous two days with Georgia Angelopoulos from Victoria, BC. We had our minds opened up to so many possibilities and we all came away with some wonderful pieces of work or very good starts towards some quality pieces. I am going to post just a sample of pieces of work, one of Georgia's and some of student work. I think I speak for everyone who attended, Georgia is a fantastic teacher and has an incredible wealth of information to give. We need to have her back for more!

Our focus was on the letters in Stockholm Codex Aureus (google it!) and I guess you either love the letters or not! I think they are kind of funky in a 7th century kind of way. Once we got our letters drawn on our hot press 140# watercolour paper, it was time to gild. These photos show the works in progress.

Kay came from Regina!!


Kathleen working on two pieces at once!


Wilma working hard even though her eyes weren't cooperating!


Margot chose to work on one of the treated papers Georgia had prepared for us.


I think this is Jean Bennett's work.


What we all aspire to! Georgia's fabulous work on black paper.


The group of participants!
Thank you very much to Louise for hosting Georgia and to Eileen for picking her up at the ferry and returning her there after the workshop! I hope the sail home to the island was less windy than on Tuesday morning.
Thank you so much Georgia! we love gilding now!! even if there is a lot of clean-up work....

3 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

Those letters are wicked cool!

Anita said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun creating beautiful work!

Lorraine Douglas said...

Oh ... this blog posting is just splendid....just as glorious as the Codex and Georgia! I see that Kay came...how wonderful!!! to see a picture of her. All of your work looks beautiful. Congratulations!